Tuesday 1 July 2014

Recipe to make delicious Dim Sum Sponge Cake- Ma Lai Gou (马来糕)

This is a backdated post for steam cakes. Omg I love all sort of steam cakes.  I still remember before I bought an oven, I love to steam different types of cakes for breakfast. I will then passed it to my family for them to eat in the office. Muahaha.. My mum will always be my No 1 fan be it success or failure.  
Today I would like to share with you one of my favourite steam cake recipe -Ma Lai Gou which you will traditionally see it in Dim Sum restaurants. 


Ingredients (Make one 6 inch cake)
(Recipe adapted and modified from Wantanmein)

2 eggs
100g brown sugar (I reduce the sugar from 120g)
10g=1.5 tbsp custard powder
100g cake flour / plain flour
50ml milk (UHT)
3 tsp baking powder (Double Action)
4 tsp soda water
0.5 tsp vanilla extract
50g melted butter


*This recipe sweetness is just nice for me as it is not very sweet. Please try this recipe first. If it is sweet for you then reduce the sugar level from here.
**Timing given is just a guideline. Please always check 5 min beforehand.
** If your not using steaming basket 蒸笼 always remember to use a cloth and cover the wok /pot lid to prevent water droplets disfiguring your cake.

Method


  • Sieve custard powder and flour  together.
  • Whisk egg and sugar together.
  • Add flour mixture into egg mixture slowly in 3 portion and fold till no flour is visible.
  • Add milk and combine well.
  • Using a cling wrap, cover it for 2hrs for it to ferment.
  • When 2hr is almost up, start to boil water to steam the cake.
  • In a bowl, add soda water and baking powder and mix well.
  • Pour into batter and fold 6-7 times to combine well.
  • Add vanilla extract and melted butter into batter and mix well.
  • Use a steaming basket and steam 30min on med to med -high heat.
I steam Ma Lai Gou a number of times before.

And finally there was 1 evening I was so addicted to eating steam cake that I make Ji Dan Gao first then 2hrs later, I went to steam Ma Lai Gou. Haha!








No comments:

Post a Comment